Skip to main content

Andy: Dunkirk

MOVIE: Dunkirk

WHERE: Cinema 7

GRADE: B-

What I liked - What I didn't:





What I Liked
What I Didn’t
Color & Cinematography
A bit indulgent
Abstract narrative
Unrealistic for effect
Sound
Score


What I Liked

Color & Cinematography: Nolan and his team are no slouch. This film is distinctive and beautiful. Wonderful blues and saturation. Also, on this note, of the current directors making popular American movies, Nolan really asks a lot of his audiences with his montages. That is to say, between his shots he asks the view to fill in a lot of the gap. This happens very noticeably at the end of the film when Tom Hardy's character shoots down another Nazi plane with his out of gas spitfire. In general, it makes Nolan's movies fast and, in a way, gives the viewer some work to do while watching - but in some cases, it can be a bit much of a jump, as in the scene I just referenced.

Abstract Narrative: I really enjoyed the lack of a single protaginist who has a name and a backstory. Even the antagonist, the Nazi's, we don't ever see their faces! We see their planes and that's it. It was actually quite refreshing.

Sound: Nolan has become less and less conventional in his use of sound. There are times it breaks the 4th wall for me, which I don't like. Examples of this are the plane bombing raids where the sound is EQ'd to be very unpleasant and disturbing. But, overall, the sound of this movie is so unique and crisp it is a huge net plus for me.

What I Didn’t

Indulgent: My overall critique of this film is that it is indulgent. The score, and I love Hans Zimmer, save for the 5 minute break we get when the civilian ships arrive, is ceaselessly dissonant. The shots of the foam on the beach, the man committing suicide, the whole part where the group hides out in the barred boat, the repeated cuts of the army ducking in unison, turning their heads in unison (without saying a word!) .... each one by itself is effective and fun to watch, but by the end, I'm just tired. I feel like I've been beaten over the head with it all.


And, in a different critique, the scene where the two boys get back home and are embarrassed, hiding their heads, only to be given beer because the homeland is proud... it just didn't work for me. It felt very Steven Spielberg - "Oh look, these people think poorly of themselves... but, GOTCHA, THEY ARE HEROES!" It was light, quirky, tried to be emotional, and I just didn't buy it. It felt surreal and magical, like a Spielberg movie. Most of Dunkirk was not surreal and magical.

Also, why did not Tom Hardy's character just turn around and crash his plane by a rescue boat in the ocean? Better chance of survival with the Nazis?

Finally, a dad losing a son and just acting cool? Is this British grit? "Keep calm and carry on?"
Again, I just didn't find it believable.

Bible Symbolism:
Luke 21:19 - Stand firm and you will win life.
James 1:12 - Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.



Final Thoughts
This is a hard one to grade. I really appreciated it being so different than modern cinema. But, maybe not a full 2 hour course of it. I would have liked it a lot leaner. Not so dramatic with the army being stoic and acting in unison ALL THE TIME, the score relentlessly hammering dissonance, or a dad looking on while their mid teen son dies under his boat's deck from a simple head wound.

The color and I haven't mentioned the acting are both amazing. The sound, for the most part, is unlike anything you'll see... errr, hear. And, maybe the best positive point I can make: it brought attention to a battle I knew little about and also kept WWII - its scope, its impact, its magnitude of sacrifice - in my subconscious, which I didn't know was forgetting it until watching this.

There are some excellent popcorn flicks out there right now. But, if you like your movies full of tension and grit, nothing will beat this.
Image result for dunkirk leaflet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elliot: Spider-man: Homecoming

MOVIE: Spider-man: Homecoming WHERE: Saw it at Scappoose Cinema 7 GRADE: A What I liked - What I didn't:

Andy: War for the Planet of the Apes

MOVIE: War for the Planet of the Apes WHERE: Cinema 7 (too much Coke 0) GRADE: B+ What I liked - What I didn't: