Skip to main content

Elliot: Spider-man: Homecoming

MOVIE: Spider-man: Homecoming

WHERE: Saw it at Scappoose Cinema 7

GRADE: A
What I liked - What I didn't:



What I Liked
What I Didn’t
Peter’s age
Aunt May
Comic book glee
Peter’s friends
Tony Stark internship
Tony Stark internship


What I Liked


Peter’s Age: I really enjoy how they casted a 20 year old who looks younger than Toby Maguire.  It fits the whole movie and makeup of Spider Man, he’s supposed to be just a kid and they nailed it.  From his wide eyed looks, to the way he doesn’t know how to talk to girls, all the way to him solving problems, you can tell he is inexperienced and young, which is much appreciated.  


Comic Book Glee: In a lot of ways this movie reminded me of comic books I read as a kid, and it especially reminded me of the cartoons I watched everyday growing up.  I love how they used Peter’s web shooters, instead of having the webs come out of his wrists, and I enjoyed all the spidey gadgets.  I really like how they made him nerdy too.  I think they balanced Peter being a hardcore nerd, but also being a kickbutt superhero very well, just like the comics.  


Tony Stark Internship:  When I initially saw previews for this movie, Tony Stark probably hyped me up more than I should’ve been.  The whole idea of Stark giving Peter new gadgets and suits is absolutely sick, and such a unique twist on it.  I like how they come up with “your friendly neighbourhood spider-man” because Peter is supposed to just stay in his neighbourhoods.  


What I Didn’t


Aunt May:  To start my very slim list of complaints, Aunt May takes the cake.  It’s not that I disliked her character.  Her age and style is very fitting for the movie.  In fact I really appreciated how old they made her.  But I did not appreciate how she found out that Peter was Spider Man.  Uncool.  I like the idea of him sneaking out and the only people really knowing his identity is his closest friend and Tony Stark, nobody else.  


Peter’s Friends:  At the start of the movie I sort of like Ned, Peter’s main friend in the movie, but sooner than later I really started to get annoyed with him.  Not because he was a bad actor, or that he was even a bad character.  I didn’t care for the fact that Ned knew Peter was Spider-Man.  The old ones nailed the mysteriousness of Spider-Man, nobody knew who he was.  But now in this version, Peter just willy nilly tells people like it’s no big deal.  He’s supposed to be sneaky and quiet about his private life.  They tried to show Peter leaving the party as if he was trying to hide the fact that he is Spider-Man, but I feel like that scene fails because his nerdy friend Ned is already geekin about Peter being Spider-Man.  Kinda ruined the mystery for me.  
On a very short side note I’m not sure how I felt about MJ’s name change from Mary Jane to Michelle.  I get the idea behind it, start new, start fresh because the old Mary Jane was horrid and made me nauseous, but her name still has always been Mary Jane.  I guess calling her MJ instead of Mary Jane is still better than Kirsten Dunst’s cringe performance.  


Tony Stark Internship:  While I did look forward to this being in the movie, I was ultimately very let down.  Tony is a douche bag who definitely does not know how to mentor someone and their relationship is strange.  Maybe I’m just sick of Iron Man and Robert Downey Juniours’s arrogance, but this was definitely a killer in the movie for me.  


Final Thoughts: Spider-Man Homecoming is a breathe of fresh air for my relationship with Marvel.  Every movie they put out nowadays seems the same and this one is much different.  It follows traditional comic book Spider-Man but also throws some fun twists with it! I gave this movie an A because of the actor they chose for Peter, the incredible quick action scenes, and most of all for all the witty Spidey banter from the comics and cartoons.  It doesn’t take itself too seriously and ultimately in the serious parts it nails it.  Definitely go watch it.  

Image result for funny spiderman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andy: Dunkirk

MOVIE: Dunkirk WHERE: Cinema 7 GRADE: B- What I liked - What I didn't:

Andy: War for the Planet of the Apes

MOVIE: War for the Planet of the Apes WHERE: Cinema 7 (too much Coke 0) GRADE: B+ What I liked - What I didn't: