Skip to main content

Andy: Spider-man: Homecoming



WHERE: Saw it at Scappoose Cinema 7 ($5 on Tuesdays!)

GRADE: A
What I liked - What I didn't:



What I Liked
What I Didn’t
Flippancy
Michael Keaton has been better / Villain
Ignores spider bite origin
"Slaves building Washington Monument"
Love interest & twist
Tony Stark logic

What I Liked


Flippancy: From the home made cell phone video, to Spiderman saying “This sucks!” while running through sprinklers, the movie didn’t take itself too seriously. This works well and should be a future trend for all superhero films (looking at you DC!)

Ignores Spider bite origin: John Watts and company were wise to avoid bogging the story down with stuff we have all seen before: being bit by a spider, learning to walk on walls and shoot web.

Love Interest & Twist: A great job overall by the actors and casting! The love interest is played off very well, with us really knowing the other girl is the special one the whole while. And the big twist seeing Peter’s main love interest’s unfortunate relationships was very well played.

What I Didn’t


Villain: Don’t get me wrong, there have been far worse villains in most of the superhero movies. In fact, Vulture ranks up there in probably the top echelon… but he still feels a bit throw away. And, Michael Keaton, though having a great due resurgence, has been better.

“Slaves built the Washington Monument.” America had slavery. Most of the founders new it was an issue and they were the ones who built the construct (read: Declaration of Independence and Constitution) that gave way to abolishing the slave trade in America two generations later. This comment in the movie broke the 4th wall, yanking me out of my movie experience and pushed a political agenda that is/has being/been worked out for the last 100+ years at the forefront of American politics; hardly a deadhorse beating I want in a superhero movie.
Tony Stark Logic: Tony fails Peter’s internship because he was risking lives. Then Peter goes on to risk more lives, albeit without his suit, not including any higher ups, and Tony rewards him? Weird.



Final Thoughts
I loved Spiderman: Homecoming. My gripes are basically because we self imposed having three gripes and three likes. This movie had a tight script, great acting, and smart witty directing. Best superhero movie in a long while! It is my favorite Spider-man movie (which says a lot given the first two’s excellence). Go see it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andy: Dunkirk

MOVIE: Dunkirk WHERE: Cinema 7 GRADE: B- What I liked - What I didn't:

Elliot: Spider-man: Homecoming

MOVIE: Spider-man: Homecoming WHERE: Saw it at Scappoose Cinema 7 GRADE: A What I liked - What I didn't:

Andy: War for the Planet of the Apes

MOVIE: War for the Planet of the Apes WHERE: Cinema 7 (too much Coke 0) GRADE: B+ What I liked - What I didn't: